Monday, June 29, 2015

What I Thought When I Got my First Piece of Real Lolita (52 Lolita Challenge)

I feel like this question is a bit of a two-parter for me, personally. When I think about how I grew my Lolita collection, I remember buying a lot of offbrand at first, even considering owning only indie/offbrand for a while. But then I got my first piece of brand, and.... well. It's been a downward slope ever since.

So I want to split this up between my two "first pieces" of real lolita: my first brand item, and my first quality Lolita item. This post required me to go through my old Livejournal, and boy howdy was that a little embarrassing.

Item 1: First Indie Piece



My first true piece of Lolita (that is, something that wasn't ordered off of eBay) was from the now-closed indie brand English Charm--which, to this day, is one of my favorite brands. I ordered this relatively plain black jumperskirt (a custom job, given the original jumperskirt on their site was made with a Classic floral print), and a few blouses. And when they arrived, I absolutely fell head over heels all over again. I hadn't had a "Lolita" dress that was this nice before, despite the fact that I'd paid approximately the same price. And it solidified not only my adoration for the English Charm brand, but it really made me want to go out and seek other "indie brands" that catered to plus sized clients. And that kicked off most of Lolita purchases to date, honestly!

Even if the dress is "plain" by my standards now, I feel like it was a really good choice for me as a beginner, because it let me figure out how balancing out a Lolita coordinate actually worked without overloading my circuits right off the bat. I've since sold this jumperskirt, but I still think of it fondly, and hope the girl that I sold it to loves it as much as I do.

Item 2: First Brand Piece



My first piece of brand was a parasol from Metamorphose, all the way back in 2011 (Gosh, it doesn't feel like it was that long ago...). I'd always loved the idea of parasols, but never actually went and got one for myself. That is, of course, until I found out that Lolita brands put them out on a regular basis. Why wouldn't I take advantage of the fact that brands released an item I'd been secretly pining over for years? And so I put in an order, and waited.

And it was completely worth it. At the time, I was kind of shocked by how much the parasol had actually cost (though as far as brand parasols go, it was a positive steal). But I was also so excited to finally get my first piece of brand that I forgot any reservations rather quickly. Holding that first brand item in my hands was amazing. I'll admit that it felt something like a status symbol. Sure, I wore indie brand stuff because of my size; but here was proof that I could own stuff from a real Lolita brand, and that was just enormous for me. I was so excited! To this day, I feel like brand items hold a special place in my heart, even though I adore my indie brand items as well. I think it's just the amount of detail and quality that I really love, because any offbrand item with as much work as a brand item usually ends up on my "favorite pieces" list for a while, at the very least.

What about you? What was your experience getting your first piece of Lolita clothing? Were you nervous about something going wrong? Or excited? Did everything go without a hitch, or was it harder than you thought? I'd love to hear your stories in the comments below. Until next week!

The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment