Monday, June 15, 2015

Wardrobe Blunders! Things I Bought that I Ended up Regretting (52 Lolita Challenge)

When it comes to "blunders" in my wardrobe, I find that I thankfully don't make them very often. I plan out everything I buy (more or less, with the occasional impulse buy, though they usually end up paying off). So I usually don't think there's much room for me to truly regret buying something.

Except, of course, on the rare occasional that a piece just doesn't fit right, and I can't get it to fit right. Case in point: my Abandoned Night skirt by the indie brand Baroque.


Gorgeous, isn't it? Yes, I adore this print, and the entire series behind it (I even went ahead and bought the matching blouse for the skirt, since I liked it so much). And with the photoshoot that promoted it, how could I not fall in love? This was when I was still building up my basic wardrobe, and at the time, it was probably the most expensive main item (skirt/jumperskirt/OP) that I owned. I just loved the print, and I wanted a stained glass print so badly that it practically hurt.

Baroque was offering custom sizing for this release, and I decided to jump at the chance to get it. Something about the print spoke to me (and still does). The vivid colors might be a bit much in others' opinions, but I just happened to really love it. And then, after months of waiting for the release (and multiple delays on the part of Baroque, though it wasn't exactly their fault and they even sent me a headdress with my order as an apology for the lateness), I finally had it in my hands.

And it was a bit too tight.

It isn't that the skirt is unwearable; when I wear a corset, I can just barely put it on. But it was disappointing in a major way for me. For a skirt that I waited so long for, and put so much hope into... The sizing, despite the elastic, isn't very flexible at all. I found that when I'd given them my measurements, rather than making my waist measurement comfortably in the middle, their tailors had made my 105 cm waist the absolute max for the skirt. And it was, to be honest, a little heartbreaking, because I loved this series so much, but I couldn't really afford to return the skirt in order to get a new one (since shipping was outrageous).

But I'm nothing if not stubborn, and the piece has stayed in my closet. I break it out on the occasions I can wear a corset for the day (which is sadly not very often), and I'm hoping that after I've safely lost some weight and gotten healthier that it'll fit me a bit better.

So I suppose that while I don't regret buying the piece, I do regret how it ended up fitting and turning out in the end... So hopefully I'll be able to give it the love it deserves soon.

What about you? Do you have any Lolita purchases you ended up regretting? Or do you find that your impulse buys tend to work out in the end? I'd love to hear about them in the comments!

The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment