Friday, March 13, 2015

Project Post: Heart Apron pattern from Gothic Lolita Bible 3 (Altered)

Every once in a while, I decide that I will actually finish one of the many Lolita projects I've started sewing. And sometimes, it actually turns out pretty damn good! Last Fall, I snatched up the third volume of the Japanese Gothic Lolita Bible, because I fell in love with one of the patterns in it--a heart shaped apron from Baby the Stars Shine Bright.


The problem is, GLB patterns are most definitely not made for someone my size. No problem, I thought to myself. It's just a matter of extending the waistband a little, and altering how the straps work. I got this.


In the end, it didn't turn out half bad! But I definitely think I'll have some things to change if/when I make a second one... Mainly in the size of the heart bib, which I'll make noticeably larger. Other than that, I really love how it turned out! Check out some detail pictures down below.


So what sewing projects has everyone else done lately? Have you ever altered a pattern from a GLB or other Japanese sewing mook? Have a favorite pattern to share? I'd love to hear your guys' input down in the comments section. Until next time!

8 comments:

  1. Hello Sara, I have the same volume and was wondering where you got the translations for the pattern tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Demi,

      Unfortunately, I didn't translate the pattern tutorial at all. I used my rudimentary hirigana/katakana skills to determine what each piece was individually, looked at the provided pictures, and figured out how to put it together myself from there. I don't know enough kanji to make translating the directions possible (yet)... I'm sorry I can't be more help! If you get stuck on the pattern, I can try and help you out.

      Delete
    2. thats really awesome Sara! I'll make sure to ask if I have any details, just getting ready for a valentines day meetup!

      Delete
    3. hey Sara!
      I'm kind of unsure in the materials what they mean by braid or blade? Do you know what that is.

      Delete
    4. They probably mean a braid trim; they're probably referring to the eyelet lace decorating the interior of the heart!

      Delete
    5. Nice! Thanks Sara, was there a site where you got the really pretty lace from, out here people don't seem to have a lot of fancy laces.

      Delete
    6. I got my lace from JoAnn Fabrics, if I remember correctly--but they don't seem to have it on their site anymore! I bought it AGES ago, as well, and it doesn't look like they still carry it... Sorry!!!

      I highly recommend buying your lace online, though--it's much cheaper (usually), and there's a wider variety to choose from. Amazon and eBay both have a surprisingly vast array of laces to choose from! The kind of lace I used here was "eyelet lace" (for a search term). The lace the ribbon loops through is sometimes referred to as lace beading, or ribbon lace; it often comes with a ribbon already threaded through it, but you can remove it with minimal difficulty if the color doesn't match what you like.

      Hope that helped!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I've been looking for this pattern for a while, would you consider taking a clear photo of the whole page with the japanese instructions and measurements? I'm really hoping it would be alright whenever you have the time. Both the apron and stuffie if possible. my email is kutsunyanko@gmail.com . thank you in advance!!

    ReplyDelete