Monday, June 8, 2015

Three Ways in Which I Don't Fit the Cliche (52 Lolita Challenge)

Last week, I tackled three ways in which I totally fit the Lolita cliche. And this week, I'm going to go in the exact opposite direction--three ways in which I completely and utterly go against the grain of what is generally accepted as the Lolita cliche. While some of these aren't really all that uncommon (at least from what I can tell), they certainly do go against what's expected when you say "I wear frilly clothes for fun".

1. I swear. Like, a lot. F*** being a lady.



I don't know if it's just me, but I swear that I see a lot of posts on Tumblr discussing how ladylike Lolitas must be, if they dress in the clothes they do. I heartily laugh at this notion. While I am more than capable of acting the part--and often will, for the ease of things in public--I

2. I actually don't really like Novala Takemoto all that much.



I'm planning on doing an entire post about this topic at a later date about why I, personally, don't really care for him--but I just don't. I enjoy the Kamikaze Girls movie a hundred times more than I enjoyed the book, and even then, there are Lolita movies that I like much better. So even though Novala Takemoto has been called the "Lolita's Bard", I think I'll stick to other writers, for my part.

3. I do not wear sweet, and will never wear sweet. Not even for a themed meetup.



It isn't that I hate Sweet Lolita in general. It's that I hate it on me. I've only ever worn a Sweet Lolita dress once, and... Well. Let's just say it definitely isn't for me. I've always felt more comfortable in darker colors than in lighter ones. Even a Gothic coordinate with a white base is a bit "light" for me (not to mention I'd be too paranoid about staining it to actually enjoy wearing it). I'll admire sweet from afar, rather than going after it myself, and stick to what I know I enjoy!

What about you? Do you break out of the Lolita box in a certain way? Or do you find that you stick to the Lolita stereotype consistently? What are some of your favorite/least favorite Stereotypes, and do you follow them or go against them? I'd love to hear about them down in the comments. Until next week, stay frilly!

The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment