Monday, April 27, 2015

Three Trends I Thought I Loved, But Now I'm Not Keen On (Lolita 52 Challenge)

Before we get into this list, I want to make something of a little disclaimer. These are trends that I personally don't really like. We all have our own opinions--and just because I don't like a trend doesn't mean that you aren't allowed to like it! As I said last week, we can share both our likes and our dislikes without feeling like we're being personally attacked for them. With that little disclaimer out of the way, onto my three items that I should, in theory, love, but I'm not too keen on!

1. Skeleton Tights



Skeleton tights from Hot Topic

I'm not sure if it's a case of the sour grapes (I never did manage to find a pair of skeleton tights for plus size figures, though I found a plethora of leggings), or whether I just actually dislike them--but I used to love the idea of skeleton tights in a coord. But now, I realize that they just doesn't seem to fit many outfits. It doesn't help that the trend has caught on, and now super-cheap and relatively crappy-looking versions are widely available. The biggest issue I've had with skeleton tights, however, is that I've seen so many coordinates that have kind of forced the tights into it, even though they don't match it at all--for example, a super-sweet coordinate with them. Skeleton tights might work with creepy cute, but sweet? Overall, I don't think they're horrible, but I would definitely say that they are overrated.

2. Bittersweet Lolita



Whether or not you consider "bittersweet" Lolita to be a thing (or if it's just sweet in dark colorways), when the term started to pop up more often around 2012 to 2013, I kind of liked it! Given that my style is quite a bit darker than even bittersweet Lolita, this feels very bizzare to me now. Why did I ever think that I would enjoy wearing bittersweet Lolita when the motifs of sweet Lolita made me cringe? Why did I fall in love with the Whimsical Vanilla-chan print when literally the only thing I really loved about it was the fact that it had cats on it? I'm just glad I never put any money into sweet prints before figuring out that the trend was most definitely not for me.

3. Nun Lolita



Nameless Poem OP from Ista Mori

Here, I think I'm bending the rules just a little bit--but it's a trend that came to mind when I saw this prompt. Nun Lolita is one of those things that I should, in theory, love. It's a decidedly more Gothic trend than what's been popular lately, and it has old school roots. Even Mana has donned dresses that are decidedly "Nun Lolita"-esque. But here's the issue: I can't wear it myself. As a former student of a Catholic university, and a member of the Pagan community, I simply don't find myself comfortable wearing a "nun" inspired coordinate. However--I love looking at them. So maybe it's one of those trends that I'm not keen on for myself--but love witnessing.

So those are the top three trends I thought I loved, but found that I wasn't actually all that keen on! What about you? Do you have any trends that became a love gone sour? Or a trend you just never understood? I'd love to hear about it in the comments! Until next week, then--stay frilly!

The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment