Monday, April 13, 2015

Nails to Match my Favorite Looks (52 Lolita Challenge)

I will be the first person to admit that I have a very boring taste in nails. I've just never really meshed with the deco nail trend that's so popular in OTT Lolita and other J-fashions--or even in mainstream fashion, to a certain extent! Maybe it's the fact that I grew up with a mother who consistently has her acrylic nails filled. and knowing the upkeep that they require turned me off of the process because I am notoriously lazy about making appointments like that.

That doesn't mean, of course, that I can't appreciate deco nails, and that I haven't considered getting a pair of the "press on" variety. There are dozens of Etsy stores that sell ornate and gorgeous nails that have tempted me. But I also enjoy the use of my fingers for fine motor details with little to no warning, and I have this lasting phobia that I would get my nail caught in my waist tie bow or break one straight in half while typing, the way my mother has done on several occasions (because of her nails' length, she's typing with the tips of her nails rather than her fingertips; over a period of time at her programming job, she will occasionally wear them out).







Phobia aside, nails like these rose-themed ones are the kind I like the most. Because I wouldn't be the type to keep multiple sets of these, I would want something that could match multiple outfits--and a simpler set like these, in a monochromatic rose scheme, could be worked into just about any outfit that had black as a central color.


Nails like the above ones, however, would be a bit more themed. They definitely look more opulent, but they would almost certainly have to be worn in a coordinate that uses red in it, or else the nail gems would look decidedly out of place. The classic Gothic images in these, however, are really stunning--especially for nail art. Think about how small that canvas is--and look at just how much detail was actually put into them! The lace details on this set, in particular, is something I really like. But even so, it's still a bit too "dressed up" for my personal taste.


OPI Shatter used in a manicure

Enter OPI Shatter polish. This is a product that I can really get behind. Whenever I'm home, I tend to steal my mother's black Shatter for at least a while. Shatter, and similar copycat products, are an interesting way to jazz up your usual polish game. As the Shatter dries, it forms "shattered" chunks, revealing the original color underneath. I like to use either silver or a nice royal blue underneath my Shatter for a decidedly Moitie-esque colorscheme. I finish off with a topcoat for lasting wear and a bit of gloss, and I'm done! Nothing easier.

On a normal day to day basis, my nails will usually have either simple black, semi-gloss polish, or be kept natural. What about you guys? Do you go all-out when you wear Lolita? A middle of the road type? Or do you rock natural nails? I'd love to hear about your preferences down in the comments!

The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment