Monday, April 20, 2015

Three Trends I Thought I Would Never Get Into, But I Now Love! (Lolita 52 Challenge)

Before we get into this list, I want to make something of a little disclaimer: These are trends that I just never really thought I could get into, and changed my mind for some reason or another. We all have our own opinions--and that's totally okay! We're all allowed to have our likes and dislikes. We can share both our likes and our dislikes without feeling like we're being personally attacked for them. With that little disclaimer out of the way, onto my top three items that I thought I disliked, but slowly fell in love with!

1. Head Bows



Rose Frill Grosgrain Head Bow from Alice and the Pirates

I have to admit, I was one of those people that just couldn't stand the idea of headbows. It wasn't that I hated others for wearing them--they could look adorable in coordinates, and I always thought they were kind of cute. But the thought of putting them on my head always made me feel--well, a bit silly. I think most of that stems from my short hair, which limits the size of head bow that I can actually wear. Head-eating bows are most definitely not for me! At least, not with my natural hair.

Then I saw the head bow above released by Alice and the Pirates in 2013. It was small enough to where it looked wearable--easily wearable! And it was asymmetrical, which was great for my asymmetrical hair cut (since I have comb-over bangs). All in all, I just felt like I'd finally found a head bow that I could actually wear! Fast forward a year, and I've snatched up this lovely thing and made it mine. Not to mention...


Merry Making in the Ghost Town Head Bow from Alice and the Pirates

...I have another head bow on my wishlist! Coming from me--the ever-adamant "I don't wear head bows" Lolita prior to this year--this is quite a feat. Not just one head bow, but two? How novel! I really like the asymmetrical, tilted head bows, I think, and I like the bows that aren't too overpowering. So this trend, which I originally hated, has somehow wormed its way into my heart, if only just a little bit.

2. Peignoirs


Vintage peignoir found on Etsy (link)


Peignoirs were one of those things that, for the longest time, I wasn't quite sure what to think of. They looked interesting sometimes, and depending on the peignoir, they can be stunning. When it comes to peignoirs in Lolita, however, I am extremely picky. As gorgeous as they are, I really, really dislike long peignoirs with Lolita. When the peignoir goes to your ankles, but your dress goes to your knees, it looks very surreal in my opinion--and not in a good way. So a tailored peignoir, roughly knee length, looks best to me. But, like overdresses (which are also included on my list of 5 things every Lolita wardrobe should have), peignoirs are able to bring together a coordinate into a cohesive unit, so long as they work well with it.

3. Old School/Classic Lolita


An ancient Victorian Maiden spread from a GLB

I'm lumping these two together, because I went into the fashion thinking I would never wear them. I thought that I would keep myself a ~*~strictly Gothic Lolita~*~, and live out my creepy doll fantasy life in peace. Of course, Lolita had other plans for me--and slowly, these other two styles crept into my heart--particularly Old School. Gothic is still my one and only love, but every once in a while, for a change of pace, I'll wear a more Classic coordinate (though my color palette is limited), or break out and old school black and white coordinate to show that old school is still alive and kicking.

The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment