Monday, May 18, 2015

Purses that I Love (52 Lolita Challenge)

When it comes to purses, it's no surprise that Lolitas tend to be pretty quirky with their choices.


The plain handbag



A/P Ribbon Bag by Alice and the Pirates

You can't go wrong with a plain handbag. And it's that sense of versatility that I really like about the plain Lolita handbag. It still has the bows and lace that we associate with the style, and is usually quite a bit "cuter" than many mainstream bags. With the plain handbag, you don't really have to worry about it matching your coordinate other than the color. Add in the fact that you could easily use this purse with mainstream fashion, and you have an item from your Lolita closet that could get quite a bit more use--and give you more bang for your buck.

The book bag (literally)



"Magic Spells" Book Bag by Restyle.pl

I believe that there is a law somewhere that says all English majors are required to love books. Having recently graduated with my B.A. in English, I'm no different--and this love extends to items shaped like books. I have plenty of small storage boxes shaped like books, and a love for bags shaped like them, as well. If I had my way, I would have a good three or four different book bags, but I try to keep myself in check. Book shaped bags are great for any bibliophile who wears Lolita fashion; and with Restyle.pl around, that most definitely includes a wide variety of options for Gothic Lolitas, specfically. Awesome!

The violin bag



Violin Bag by Innocent World

Once upon a time, I played viola. I loved playing, but for multiple reasons (too much money, horrible teacher, and lack of time), I had to quit lessons. With a violin-shaped bag, I can think about that long-ago time without actually trying to remember the chords my fingers have probably long since forgotten! A violin bag is a lovely addition to a coordinate, especially for Gothic Lolita leaning in a Classic direction. I own a violin bag from Lady Sloth (though they no longer carry them), and for the longest time, it was my go-to Lolita bag--and for good reason! Violin bags are a classic, if you ask me.

The coffin bag



Coffin Style Pochette by Alice and the Pirates

Ahhh, yes. The coffin bag. Staple of Gothic closets everywhere. Or, at least, I always assumed it was. Are coffin bags as common as I think they are? I certainly think they deserve to be if they aren't. There's something that's so simple yet classic about a coffin bag. Being a classic Gothic motif, coffins are a great choice when looking at a first "shaped" bag for a Gothic Lolita wardrobe. It helps that there are tons of resources for them, if you know where to look. Alice and the Pirates releases them regularly (hell, most of the Gothic brands have released one at one point--including a highly sought after and rare piece by Moi-Meme-Moitie and an absolutely adorable winged coffin backpack from Putumayo). If you don't have the money (or don't want to drop it on brand), there are tons of offbrand options, as well, including a vegan leather bag by Dysfunctional Doll with multiple decoration options.

What about you? What are some of your favorite bags or bag motifs? Do you like it plain and simple, or do you think the quirkier, the better when it comes to your bags? Do you have any favorite brand-released bags from over the years? I'd love to hear about them in the comments before! Until next week, stay frilly, my friends!

The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment