Monday, May 11, 2015

3 Trends I Wish Would Come Back (Lolita 52 Challenge)

When it comes to trends, I'm not usually the best person to ask. I don't find out about trends until they're halfway over most of the time--and I find myself not really caring most of the time, actually. Trends come and go--but I really like to invest my time and effort into timeless items that will outlast the "trendy must-haves".

That doesn't mean, of course, that I don't have a couple trends that I feel should be timeless, or that I wish would come back into style--so here, of course, I want to share them!

1. Rectangle headdresses


\

Diamond Headdress from Antique Beast

Anyone who follows me won't find this entry on the list surprising at all. I don't hide my complete adoration of rectangle headdresses--I embrace it and happily flaunt it in front of naysayers who consider this beautiful item of clothing to be an ita staple. How ludicrous! Of course a rectangle headdress is perfectly Lolita! This piece of clothing should be revered, if you ask me. For a more updated approach to rectangle headdresses, look for ones that are flatter on the head--more like a lavishly decorated headband. But for old school looks, the good old-fashioned frilly ones are amazing!

2. Chunky platforms



Shoes by Demonia

Depending on who you talk to now, some people will argue that chunky platforms are still "in style" and perfectly okay to wear, at least with Gothic. But when flipping through most outfit posts or the Gothic Lolita Bibles, there is a distinct lack of platform shoes--which were all the rage in the early 2000s. I personally love these kinds of shoes--especially when they're more "platform" than "heel", which increases the wear-ability for my wussy heel-hating feet while still allowing me to tower over any who might try to defy my frilly wonder.

3. Gothic Lolita as Vogue



Mana in Moitie's Cathedral print; printed in the Gothic Lolita Bible

Gothic is certainly not the favored and trendy style, at least the moment. No--that crown, at least at the time of writing this, most likely belongs to Classic. But there was a beautiful era where Gothic was the go-to style, the default. But that all changed when the Sweet Nation attacked...

All ATLA references aside, I would love to see Gothic rise in popularity and become the "it" fashion again! And it would appear that this just might be a "thing", given that even Angelic Pretty has had a bit more of a "Gothic" touch in some of their more popular series this year, including the much-sought after Holy Lantern release.

What about you? Are there any trends you want to drag out of the closet and dust off? Or ones that you wear regardless of whether or not they're "popular"? I'd love to hear them down in the comments! Until next time, stay frilly, my friends!

The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment