Thursday, February 12, 2015

My Favorite Lolita Print (52 Lolita Challenge)

Ahh yes, prints. Prints have become core to the Lolita fashion scene over the past half-decade or so. Everyone keeps an eye out on the prints that are coming out, and then pray that the cuts of the dresses themselves will do the print justice--rather than the other way around, as it was in the Old School days (I say as I shake my cane and tell the newer Lolitas to get off my lawn). Love them or hate them, there's no denying that the prints a brand releases in a given year are probably the main source of their income.

Given how much of my closet is actually made up of solid colored items, it might seem that I'm not as fond of prints. And honestly, sometimes I do feel like prints are over-hyped, and I miss the days when the detailing of a dress took forefront to a print on the hem. But I love, love, love prints in Gothic. I usually prefer screen prints. The simplicity of them is something I just find appealing; the stark contrast of the print on the black background, the clear crispness of silver printing ink on soft black cotton... However, my absolute favorite print, surprisingly, does not fall under the screen print category.

My favorite print, hands down, no questions asked, no competition would definitely have to be Alice and the Pirates' Funeral Procession of Rose ~Aria Blooming in the Twilight~. It has so many things that I love in it, that I honestly feel like the print was made for me--especially in the black colorway.


Blue roses adorn a subtle damask background; this main body section is neither too busy nor too plain, the perfect balance of color and darkness. The crumbling Gothic church surrounded by beautiful wrought-iron cemetery gates rises up from the blackness around the hem. The cemetery's dead tree limbs reach up, almost as if grasping towards life, but finding nothing by the flowers of mourning above, and those woven into the gates themselves. The carriage, holding our dearly departed and drawn by a single, Black-Beauty-esque horse. The print just speaks of death, mourning, and loneliness. In short: It is the perfect foray into my cheesy Gothic Romance novels, and I love it.

Speaking of which, the skirt version of this thing of beauty is on my wishlist. So, you know... (wink wink nudge nudge)... If you see it around, hook a girl up.

The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment