Monday, August 31, 2015

Most Versatile Lolita Item I Own (52 Lolita Challenge)

When I saw the prompt for this one, I knew exactly which piece I was going to talk about. It's one of my favorite main pieces I've gathered, and--surprisingly--was also one of the cheapest! I purchased this jumperskirt from Bodyline, before their major site rehaul. Using the Yen Trick and a sale that was going on, I ended up only paying about $40 (including shipping) for the dress. Given the quality and detail in it, I'm quite happy with it!


Bodyline L348 in Black (Picture by Bodyline)

Lots of people have a love/hate relationship with Bodyline. Some people adore it for its cheap pricing and easy availability. Others dislike Bodyline's business practices (like its frequent Model Contests and its less-than-savory CEO, the infamous Mr. Yan), or make the argument that their rising prices don't match the quality of the actual product. Whatever your opinion on Bodyline is, I feel you have a valid reason to shop (or not) with them. And this jumperskirt is one of the reasons I hold out the hope that Bodyline will continue to be an option in the future.

I love this dress enough that I own it in two colorways--the all-black version, as pictured above, and the black and white version, for when I'm feeling like I'm in more of an old school mood. The quality was worth buying it twice, in my opinion. The fabric is soft and thick, the lace a surprisingly good quality, and the ruffled skirt is adorable. When I wore the dress to a meetup, more than one of the girls in my Comm couldn't even believe that it was Bodyline. One even thought it was possibly an old solid Baby design.

Which brings me to why this piece is my most "versatile" piece. The thing I love about this dress is that I can mix and match it a dozen different ways. It's super hot out? Just wear the dress, toss on a lace shrug, and I'm good. Need an opulent outfit? Toss on a princess-sleeve blouse and lace tights. Casual outfit for playing board games with friends? Wear a cute cutsew underneath and some knee socks.

This piece has enough detail in the ruffles and lace to be interesting on its own, providing all the texture and interest that a monochrome black outfit often needs; and all that detail can be dressed up with a more detailed blouse to end up with an outfit that looks a lot more expensive than it actually is. Thus why, in my opinion, this humble Bodyline Jumperskirt is probably the most Versatile item in my Lolita closet.

What about you? Do you have an item you can wear a thousand different ways? Or do your items seem to be more limited? I'd love to hear about some of your favorites down in the comments section below. Until next week!

The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment