Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Something That Was a Gift (52 Lolita Challenge)

Given the events of this last weekend, I felt that this prompt from the 52 Lolita Challenge was especially fitting.

This last weekend, I was at Anime Detour in Minneapolis, Minnesota. While there, I was able to see my darling sheep-prince (affectionately referred to from here on out as "Sheepie")--an adorable Lolita and Ouji, and someone I quite often bother with banter about which prints are cute and my love for pumpkin pants while lamenting the lack of pumpkin pants in my wardrobe, while offering my best idea on how to whiten the lace on pieces that have seen a bit too much love from their former owners.

You can imagine my surprise when I ran into her at Detour, and she handed me a large orange box with an adorable little bat drawn on it. I had done a group order with her for an Alice and the Pirates headbow, so at first, I just assumed she was kidding around with me a bit, and had wrapped my part of the order.

But nope. Sheepie had gotten me a gift. According to her, it was a "Thank you" for helping her start her journey as a Lolita. When I opened the box and moved aside the headbow, I was greeted with this gorgeous piece:


Knowing my love for old school, Sheepie had gone out and found me a headdress on Lacemarket. And what a headdress. Not only did she give me such a thoughtful gift that came completely out of the blue, but it was brand.


Sheepie had bought me a Baby The Stars Shine Bright headdress. As vest we can tell, it's the Veracruz Headdress from 2006. This piece is nearly 10 years old! She had asked me about how to whiten lace in order to restore this little beauty to its former glory. And doesn't it just look wonderful? The lace on this piece is stunning--and, of course, features my namesake roses in it. How perfect! I only own one other black and white headdress besides this one, and I had been meaning to buy another one. It was as if she had read my mind.

This headdress is one of the most thoughtful and genuinely surprising gifts I've ever received. My con room mate was laughing at me when we got back to our room after I received it, because I just sat on the bed cooing at it for a little while. I honestly felt a little teary at Sheepie's generosity--and I was dumbfounded how she thought that I wouldn't like it!

Rest assured, Sheepie--I adore it, and I'm so glad that you would even think to give me something in the first place.

The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment