Sunday, March 1, 2015

Favorite Hair Style (52 Lolita Challenge)

I feel like this question was meant to sabotage me--because there are just so many things you can do with your hair, both in and out of Lolita. Being a short-haired Lolita myself, I am unable to do most of these things, unfortunately. But that doesn't keep me from gazing at Lolitas with thick, long hair with a longing look on my face and a sigh in my heart. The thing is, I don't have a hair type that suits me when worn long. I simply look better with short hair. Now, when I wear wigs, that's another story--and that's the one way I'm able to explore some of these awesome hairstyles that I adore. Below, I picked out a couple of my absolute favorites.

Braided Pigtails




Braided pigtails are one of my favorite styles for long hair. They're quick and easy to do, and perfectly suited for just about any substyle of Lolita. When worn with Gothic, though, I get this beautiful feeling that the wearer is channeling their inner Wednesday Addams, and that's enough to have me clapping with glee. You can wear them a little looser by pulling on the strands as you braid them for a "puffy" look that is, in my opinion, a lot more flattering than their tighter-wound cousins. You can decorate them with cute ribbon combs like the ones on the right from Baby. Or, top it off with a full-sized hat, which is always criminally under-rated in Lolita, if you ask me. A cute black straw boater hat with twin braids gives the perfect balance of innocence and sophistication.

Mana's Short Cut



Mana's short hair cut is absolute perfection. The feathered layers give a great texture, and the fluffy shape from teasing? Nothing says "Gothic" more like perfectly teased, enormous hair. I've yet to find a hairdresser who can properly cut hair like that; but then, the style of hair-cutting that is used in Japanese salons versus the average Western salon is very different. But, I digress. This kind of hair style would look gorgeous with a statement piece in it, such as the rose comb to the left by Moitie, but otherwise kept rather plain. Let the hair speak for itself!!!

Mana's Teased Pigtails



This is, hands down, my absolute favorite hairstyle, and the one reason I will forever mourn the fact that long hair just does not agree with me. And it also happens to be one that wigs just don't really seem to like being styled into (at least, I haven't found one yet). You thought braided pigtails were cute? these are even better. Combining the cuteness of pigtails with the fluffiness of a teased mane, this hairstyle is one of the cornerstones of Gothic Lolita Bibles--and for good reason. Just look how cute it is!

So what kind of hair styles/cuts do you like? Are you a fan of hime cuts? Or perhaps you find pixie cuts to be the most charming? Leave your favorites down in the comments below!


The post above was a response to the Lolita 52 Week Challenge made by the ever so delightful Caro over at FYeahLolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment